I want to start my rehash off with a quick shout-out. I opened my inbox today to a nice surprise from Bee at Shortcaked, a fabulous country-fried food blog that this continual dieter loves to look at but can’t cook from! Bee was nominated recently for a Liebster Blog Award (you can read her post about it here) and mentioned little old me as her bonus nominee.
I’ve obviously very recently gotten back into my blog so it made my day to see that someone out there liked what I was putting out there so far. I will try not to disappoint!
Now to rehash a busy weekend! We kicked off with birthday drinks at Bonefish for my beautiful friend Amanda. We of course had an order of Bang Bang Shrimp as well (how can you not) but it isn’t exactly Weight Watchers approved so I didn’t document with a photo.
Saturday was a busy day for me as we kicked off our annual Bowl for Kids’ Sake campaign with our first event. It was a great day for fundraising. One event down, 24 to go!
We were planning on having friends over for a low-key movie night Saturday night so I planned ahead and had dinner in the crock pot. Our friends Sara and Gerardo were coming over so I decided to make something that went well with Siracha (as Gerardo puts it on EVERYTHING).
I originally found this recipe on What’s Cooking with Ruthie (a fabulous food blog I found through a Pinterest post about crock pot recipes) and tried it for this first time last weekend with just a few variations. It was SO good I was ready to make it again this weekend. Let me tell you, my Siracha loving friend Gerardo loved them so much he asked to take some slaw and chicken home with him and I obliged, being the generous host that I am.
The best part. It is a crockpot recipe and SO easy.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts (approx 4)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Gourmet Gardens ginger
- 1 Tbsp Gourmet Garden Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Gourmet Garden Red Chilis
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 C lime juice, divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 C shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ C finely sliced red onion
- 16 whole wheat slider buns
- Add first seven ingredients and 2 Tbsp lime juice to the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Meanwhile you can make the slaw first by mixing the dressing
- Combine 2 Tbsp lime juice, olive oil and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Toss with red cabbage, carrot, cilantro and onion.
- When chicken is done, remove from sauce, shred, and return to sauce.
- Divided chicken and red cabbage among 16 whole wheat slider buns.
The great thing about this recipe is you can make it as hot or sweet as you want. I added Siracha to the crockpot the second time I made it to give it a little kick and used green onions in the slaw instead of red because that is what I had on hand. Still delicious.
Enjoy! And have a great week!
Best, Sweet Caroline